Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Asparagus and Mushroom-Walnut Pate en Croute

Vegan Month of Food 2017
"Lines and Light"
(a line of original poetry or a photo of light every day for the month of October)

Day 4: Worst Catered Meal
(click HERE to see what others are sharing today)
"Light on a Thankful Bounty"
(October always makes me thankful.)




The worst catered meal I was ever served was many years ago. I was a new vegan, and the hostess kindly requested that the kitchen make a special meal for me. Great, I thought! We sat down to eat and everyone tucked right into their chicken breasts, their roast beef, their salmon fillets and I just sat there, waiting. I was pretty excited to see my 'special meal' because their plates were piled high with veggies - salad, baked potato, asparagus, etc. 

When my meal finally arrived, it was (and I am not even exaggerating one tiny bit) only a thin layer of puff pastry with three (THREE) pieces of asparagus tucked in it. No salad, no potato, no extra veggies on the plate....no sauce, no dressing, no condiments whatsoever. 

I can remember feeling super embarrassed, but now I realize, this meal had nothing to do with me. The chef simply was not prepared to handle a vegan meal. His fault, not mine. 

Because I've had that meager meal in the back of my mind for all these years, today's topic was a cinch for me. Check out MY vegan asparagus in puff pastry! NICE! Fit for a vegan or a king. 

Here's what you need:
2 pieces puff pastry - thaw according to package (only about 40 minutes, I think)
1 lb button mushrooms, diced
1 lb shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, discarded. Dice the tops
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T non-dairy butter
1 C walnuts
1/4 C panko bread crumbs
2 T dried parsley
1 lb fresh asparagus, lightly steamed and set aside
4-6 thick slices of roasted tomatoes (probably NOT store bought.... fresh might work well also)

Here's what you do:
Saute the mushrooms in the butter until quite juicy and soft. Then add the garlic and continue to cook for a few minutes. 
See how chunky?

In a food processor, add the walnuts, mushrooms, bread crumbs, and parsley. Process just a bit - leave it kinda chunky. The moisture in the mushrooms will be enough for it to form into a type of 'pate.' 

Build your creation on a parchment lined cookie sheet. 
Serve lots of veggies on the side.

Spread the mushroom mixture on one piece of puff pastry, extending about 1/2 inch from the edges. cover the mushrooms with roasted tomatoes, and then place the asparagus over it all. I got fancy with my second layer, but just plopping it on the top would be equally delicious. Use a fork to seal the two layers. 

Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes. 

Allow to cool a bit, use a serrated knife, serve with pride! I'm pretty happy with this meal! 


1 comment:

  1. Oh, man! I think we've all been there in our early vegan days, before we know better than to get our hopes up! Yours looks like something any vegan would be happy to be served!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!