Monday, September 15, 2014

Asian Salad with Coconut Curry Noodles - Vegan Month of Food


A path near my house. 

The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


Quintessentially American.
     Rugged New England.
         Mended fences and good neighbors.
                Little calves standing by their mamas.
 Horses that shake their harness bells on a snowy night.
       John Kennedy’s inauguration.
                 Robert Frost.

I think this might be my favorite poem: I love it for its simplicity. I love that it speaks truth to my heart. I love how it challenges me to live my life as I believe I ought, even in the face of pressure to conform. As I write these words I realize that one of my favorite Bible verses, really my life verse, is from the second chapter of Romans the 12th verse. “Do not be conformed to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”

“Way leads on to way,” and we can’t turn back time to re-live our lives. Make the most of every day….and serve your loved ones delicious and healthy food.


This salad is delicious. We ate it for dinner two nights in a row – the second time adding some teriyaki tofu.  And yes, the dressing has 16 ingredients. A simple poem. A complex recipe.



For the coconut curry noodles:
1 can light coconut milk
2 T green curry paste
10 ounces long pasta noodles
2 t olive oil

For the salad:
6-8 C Bib or butter lettuce or Romaine
Cubes or slices of teriyaki baked tofu or other similar protein
1-2 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
1 -2 ripe mangos, peeled and sliced
½ C salted peanuts

For the dressing: Simple combine all the ingredients and mix well.
2 Cloves garlic – minced
1 T fresh, grated ginger
1 T red onion, minced
¼ C rice vinegar
1 t Dijon
1 1/2 T brown sugar
1 1/2 T honey
1 T soy
1 t sesame oil
1 t Sriracha sauce
2 T sesame seeds
2 T poppy seeds
1/3 C olive oil
¼ C Canola Oil
1 t salt
½ t pepper


Here’s what you do:
Combine the coconut milk and green curry paste in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, lower heat, simmer for about 10 minutes. In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the package. Drain the pasta and place in a large bowl. Drizzle olive oil over pasta and toss with two forks. Pour the coconut curry sauce over the pasta and set aside.


Prepare the salad by arranging the avocados, mangos and peanuts on a bed of lettuces. Serve the pasta in the same serving dish for a fabulous presentation. Drizzle the dressing over the lettuce part of the salad. 

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the Road not taken. Imagine if we hadn't started down the vegan road! Visit my blog if you'd like:http://www.catandjugoveg.de

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!